The Rules of Play of the league’s affiliated association or of Softball Canada and any amendments thereto shall cover all rules not specifically mentioned in the Constitution and Rules of League play.
- Preliminary rosters are to be provided to the League Secretary before the commencement of the season and no player may play in the league without being added to the roster. Rosters will be open to revision up to the 15th of June, beyond which time rosters will be frozen. Failure to provide the team roster will result in forfeited games until the Executive is satisfied that the team in question has complied with this provision.
- Team rosters are limited to twenty (20) players.
- A Player is eligible to be listed on only one roster within RCMSPL regardless of Division.
- Teams are to exchange batting line-ups prior to the start of each game.
- The batting line-up consists of a minimum of eight (8) players to the maximum of twenty (20) players. All players must be part of the team’s official roster sheet submitted as per 11(a).
- Only players in the batting line-up may take defensive positions on the field.
- Unlimited defensive substitution for any player in the batting line-up.
- Once the game has commenced and a team has batted through their order, players may only be added to the lineup to a maximum of ten (10). Subsequent players added to the line-up will be by substitution only.
- A player who is deleted from the line-up due to injury during a game is not an out (deleted players may not re-enter the game).
- RCMSPL accepts Slo-Pitch re-entry rule.
- Any assigned umpire who participates in the League cannot officiate in their own division, including the playoffs.
- Each team is allowed three (3) courtesy runners per game at their discretion. The runner does not have to be the last player out, however the batter / runner must have attained a base.
Exception: IF a player is injured during the course of the game such that he cannot make it to 1st and IF the game would be forfeit without said player remaining in the lineup, a runner from the screen may be allowed at the discretion of the umpire.
- See attachment for Masters and Masters 45 Guidelines.
Equipment and Uniforms
The RCMSPL has approved the following equipment rules:
- A ball with a .52 COR rating (formerly .44) or less with a maximum compression of 275 (formerly 400) will be the only ball approved for play in the RCMSPL.
- Regulation thick bases. (Bases provided at parks – since 2006)
- Home Plate – A wooden board measuring 3 feet long and 2 feet wide with a minimum thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Double bag at first base, one large base, normal safety bags rules apply.
- All team members are required to wear matching uniforms.
- A player who is observed by the umpire wearing a pair of shoes with metal spikes shall be ejected from the game.
- See attachment for RCMSPL Bat Policy.
Game Times and Facilities
- All games are scheduled to begin at either 6:30 pm or 8:15 pm with NO GRACE PERIOD. The umpire will determine whether or not a game should be delayed or canceled because of weather or field conditions.
- Prior to the game the home team will set out bases which are 65 feet apart for all divisions. As well, the home team will draw in base lines, a “safe line” at home plate and a “commitment line” 21 feet from home plate.
- The home team will supply a new game ball and a good used second ball which must meet the approval of the game umpire.
- A team failing to field 8 players by 6:30 pm or 8:15 pm respectively shall lose the game by default.
- It is the responsibility of the winning team to report game scores to the League Statistician.
- The normal length of a game is 9 innings, however no new inning shall start after 95 minutes.
- If games are tied at the completion of 9 innings and time permits, the game will continue using the “International Tiebreaker Rule“. Under this rule, each team starts the new inning with one out and the player who completed the last official at bat as a base runner on second base. Each subsequent inning will start the same until a winner has been determined.
- The “International Tiebreaker Rule” is not in effect during the playoffs. These games will be played until completion without regard to time limits.
- If weather conditions do not allow a game to continue, the game will be considered completed if 5 or more innings have been completed or if 4 ½ innings have been completed and the Home Team is winning.
- Mercy Rule – if at the completion of 7 or more innings a team is leading by 15 or more runs the game shall be considered complete.
Other Playing Rules
- Commitment Line:
- A base runner who touches the commitment line or makes contact with the ground with any part of the body beyond the commitment line between 3rd base and home plate must continue on towards the scoring line at home plate. A player who has touched and/or crossed the commitment line and attempts to return to 3rd base shall be declared “Out”.
- Once a runner has advanced beyond the commitment line, he can no longer be tagged (the out must be made at home plate).
- Two points shall be awarded for each win and one point for each tie game during regular season play.
- Tie Breaking Formula:
- If the teams are tied at the end of the regular season, the games played between the two teams will first be considered. If still tied, the net run differential for the regular playing season will be used. If still tied, total runs scored will be used. If still tied, the tie will be broken by a coin toss.
- If two teams are tied to determine a playoff spot, a “sudden death” game will be played. If three teams are tied, a single round-robin will be played and if a 2 or 3 way tie still exists, the tie breaking formula c(i) will be implemented.
- The teams advancing to the playoffs will be determined each year based on the format dictated by the number of teams in each division. (See attached “Scheduling Guideline”)
- To be eligible to participate in the playoffs, a player must be named on the roster sheet (12(a)) and have participated in a minimum of 1/4 (rounded up) of the regular season games (Masters 45 remains at 1/3 of the regular season games).
- Pitching Rule: Minimum 6 ft. – Unlimited Maximum Height.
- Home Run Rule: Match +2 – The number of home runs permitted by any team shall be limited to 2 greater than the number of home runs they have allowed. Any subsequent home runs shall be deemed a dead-ball out.
- Commitment Line: